Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Embracing This Season

It is February 7th and most of the country is having considerably mild weather.  We, for instance, today was t-shirt weather, like so many other days this week.  It is odd; it may be striking the farmers with fear of a harsh Spring;  it is confusing the birds into staying, and being caught in small snow showers.  I have heard talk of El Nino, or La Nina, global warming, the list is endless.  But one thing that is striking to me about this odd weather is that people don't seem to mind.  I don't see people wearing their snow suits and mittens.  I don't see them building "snow" men out of mud on the side walk.  I don't see anyone packing up to move to Canada to catch some winter weather.  It seems like everyone (at least here in Southeast Missouri) is embracing this unseasonable weather.  Kids are outside on their bikes, wearing jeans and t-shirts.  Parks are full of families playing, Happy Meals on the nearest picnic table.  No one is too upset about the sweaters staying in the closet.

So here I am, trying to embrace this season of my life.  Not the warm weather, cool nights, flip-flops and sunglasses season.  I am ready to embrace this season of my life.  It seems that every season has a purpose, every chapter of my life thus far has had a clear intro, body, and conclusion--fantastic images, similes here and there, quotations from the best books and wise souls who've helped shape me.  This one has been kind of like 60 degree weather in February.  When I want to stay home with my children I am working.  When I want to wake up early to run, I am too tired.  When I finally have a passion for community and church service, I don't have time.  When I want a(nother) baby, I can't have one, or keep one.  It seems like the trick to making this season mine, is to do just that.  I am ready to wear shorts on the warm days.  I am ready for this season of life to be mine (and my husband's and my two wonderful sons').  We deserve to enjoy this little life we have been blessed with. 

Since I am working, and will be working for the time being, I should do a truly awesome job.  Not only should I do a truly awesome job at work, but also at home, where it matters a little more.  Since I am tired in the mornings, maybe I should go to bed earlier, or maybe run later in the day.  If I am passionate for church or community work, I should watch less TV, or pick things that can fit perfectly into my life--because after all, it is mine.  No one has told me what to do with it.  The weather has changed, but I have a wardrobe full of possibilities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment