Saturday, May 4, 2013

What's the Point?

I was watching a pretty good film today called To Save a Life. It deals with all sorts of issues that people of all ages endure today: suicide, loss, unplanned pregnancy, cutting, drinking, various self-image issues. I wouldn't recommend it to very young audiences (although I did watch it with my 6 year old nephew, but we discussed a lot of what we were seeing, and I think that 'parental guidance' that they recommend is a good idea for most television-watching). All that aside, there is one part of the movie that I particularly like. This kid (I say 'kid', but really the character, Jake, is 18 years old, just got his 18 year old girlfriend pregnant, just lost his childhood best friend to suicide, and is currently seeking the Lord--so he may be a 'kid' age-wise, but's dealing with some very adult issues like a pro) is attending a youth group meeting that his girlfriend just left because she felt judged. I'd try to explain the whole scene, but it's easier to use a clip, so enjoy:



The whole movie got me thinking, but this scene in particular got me thinking deeper. Today at church I got very frustrated with myself and my kids. Many things fell into order that left me and my brother alone at church with our children. My three were sitting with me (if you can call it that), and his two were sitting in front of me. He preached and I had other obligations during church service, so we were both up and down from the podium throughout the service, and our kids? They were up and down from their chairs throughout service. Between managing them during the church service, and then managing them while teaching Sabbath School, I was fairly exhausted. When the baby woke up hungry and I had to nurse him I had to throw in the towel and resort to sitting and issuing orders that went seemingly unnoticed.

As I started my car and sat waiting for Mickey to buckle his car seat, I took a moment to reflect. Why did I bother coming to church when I knew it would be like this? It's no surprise. It's always difficult when I'm by myself with the kids. So why don't I just skip church on drill weekends and have a pajama day with my kids?

                        It's because of my heart.
          Yep, my heart is in God's church on Sabbath, no matter where I am.

So in the words of Jake: "What's the point of all this if you're not gonna let this change you?"
You can ask yourself the same question about anything. I ask myself about my work for God. Why toil away at different programs and events if our heart isn't in it? Some people will take on a job because it sounds good, and looks good, and may even feel good, but if their heart isn't in it, it'll always end up being more work, a bigger headache, and essentially a heartache.

"What's the point of all this if you're not gonna let this change you?"

What's the point in coming to church? What's the point in following the rules? What's the point to what can become very monotonous routines if you aren't going to let it change you? But not just it--Jesus. I have been in the race without the clean heart. It is dirty and brutal. I don't want want to return there. I want Jesus to change me through everything I do. That means teaching Sabbath School when I'm overwhelmed, counting to 10 when I'd rather be spanking the behind of one of my kids, or putting all my time, energy, and money into an event or program. What's the point if I don't let Him change me?

No comments:

Post a Comment