Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day

So today we  got up and ready early  and went to the National Cemetery in Mounds City, Illinois to visit Morrel's grandpa's grave.  He was a WW II vet and my husband's hero--the reason he joined the service--and I'm glad we finally went to his grave sight.  It was also nice to see all the flags waving high, and the flags placed at each grave, the several families there to pay their respects, and the guy (who I assume  is a volunteer) helping people find graves, giving out free water, and shuttling people to graves all while enduring 95 degree weather (at least that's what it was at 10 am).  It takes people like that to make something as sad as visiting a cemetery a little better, because you realize there are other people who care about that side of Memorial Day.  

We all know what Memorial Day has come to mean, yes?  Barbeques, backyard pools, rope swings into lakes or maybe jet skis, beer and wine coolers (for some), or just spending time with family.  But why do we even have this holiday off?  There are several stories as to how it started.  They say organized groups of women began placing wreaths of flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers as early as the Civil War.  And there are several states that would like to take credit for the start of the holiday.  The point is, though, that the holiday was started because people had a common interest, a need to fulfill, and it may have taken a day off to accomplish it.  For instance, when I was younger I remember my grandma would buy arrangements and visit the graves of my uncle and grandpa every year on Memorial Day.  Families all over still do this I think.  But between the hotdogs and hamburgers the view has been clouded.  It's almost like America needed a holiday to let them know when summer starts and Memorial Day was at a prime location on the calendar.  Pools don't open until Memorial Day.  The fashion world says women can't wear black after Memorial Day.  Retailers say we need to save 40 % at the Memorial Day sales.  On and on it goes.  

I am not condemning.  For years all Memorial Day has meant to me is that it's the weekend our family goes to the boat races and end up with a sunburn on Tuesday.  I think that has changed for me though.  Because although we did get together with family and barbeque today, we also got to visit an extraordinary grave in a cemetery filled with hundreds of identical stones.  It is extraordinary because the guy that did a lot of form the man my husband grew into has been laid to rest there.  I am one who believes in the Biblical death, meaning when someone dies they rest (sleep) here on earth until Christ returns, but there is something to be said for visiting the dead in respect, and other gestures, like putting up flags at banks, and in cemeteries for the holiday weekend.  This year I realized that this is something I want to teach my children and for them to remember.  Memorial Day is not just the doorway to summer.  It was started and observed to remember those who have lost their lives in combat for this country.  Shouldn't we do our best to remember them--whether or not we agree with whatever war we are currently involved in, whether or not they we active duty, National Guard, or reserve, whether they were Army, Navy, or Air Force.  These guys died for something other than themselves, for something they believed in, whether or not you do.  It makes me proud to live in this country where we have such a holiday.  So I hope people continue to remember the real reason behind it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment