Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mom's Night Out

To celebrate Mother's Day today, I went to see Mom's Night Out, a brand new movie by Provident Films, with some friends. My one word review is: awesome. Unfortunately that just doesn't do it justice.

For a mom of three to get out for two hours, spend $20, and watch a movie it takes a lot of planning, and coaxing (most moms would feel guilty for leaving the kids). So today's treat was a big deal, and I have to share it in more than one word--or a few.

First, the main character is a "mommy blogger" (like me), and though she has a small following (of 3) she feels she is a failure when she hits writer's block. It's at the same time that she also feels a failure as a mom, because, let's face it, she's unhappy. And we know that all stay-at-home-moms should be happy, right? I mean, we get to stay home with our kids all day (something most working moms would kill for). We get control over what they eat, what they learn (at least if we're homeschooling), how they're disciplined, we get to take a break in front of the TV whenever we want, right? Well, this Super-Mommy-Blogger, Allyson, did take a break. Actually her husband, Sean, came home to find her hiding inside her closet with a laptop and an empty bag of chocolate (yes, empty). She wasn't watching a soap opera or reality TV--she was watching a live cam of a mother eagle caring for her young. She was transfixed by this creature, who was so calm and peaceful while being a mom.

While in the closet I couldn't help but notice the size of her closet (she had a walk-in closet), and then she draws attention to a very nice pair of heels (which she hasn't worn in two years). So, you may ask: what is there to be unhappy about? She has a nice house, a walk-in closet, nice clothes, a loving husband, and children that some women try and fail to conceive. I have to point out that a big closet is nice, but if you don't have a reason to wear your nice clothes, what is the point? If you have a loving husband that you can't spend time with because you have a preschooler sleeping in your bed what's the point? If you have beautiful children, but don't have time to look at their faces when they talk, then you're missing out on more than you know!

The reason Allyson's story moved me so, is because it's my story. The pressure on moms to perform is strong and comes from all angles. Not only are we to perform well, but also happily. If we have a breadwinner that provides all of our resources, and 24 hours in each day to get everything finished that we need to, we should do it all with a smile on our face. I mean, we chose this life didn't we?

Several times in Mom's Night Out, I had that moment when I watched this woman say the things I've kept hidden in my heart. When she tells her husband that what she wanted to do when she grew up was "be a mom" and now she is one, and yet she's unhappy I watched along with 100 other people, but my heart broke (because I've felt that way too). How do you reconsile the life you have to the one you envisioned all along when you were dreaming it up? How do you try and explain to your husband that you're unhappy, but you really don't know what to change, because you really wouldn't change a thing?

Allyson tries to make a change. She plans a mom's night out, which becomes a terrible mess in the beginning, and just gets worse from there. But in the end it turns out kind of wonderful. They find all the kids, get everyone out of jail, relationship between friend and friend's rebellious, teenage daughter is reconciled, and they even find out that the "man-child" is responsible enough to take care of a couple of kids, and the cab driver even remains a friend.

In the end, the mother realizes that her job is important, and sometimes hard, and sometimes easy, but always worth it (that's when I cried).

There are many reasons why I loved this movie. First, it told my story and didn't leave out any dirty details. I don't know a mom who hasn't had a total meltdown, and if a mother tells me she never has, I'm not sure I believer her. Secondly, the movie was produced by a faith-based film company, and doesn't stress the media-driven "perfect mother" that seems to be the popular norm. It also didn't focus on the traditional image of the church and the perfect (or even functional) relationship with other Christians or even Jesus. I like this because the truth is that mothers have a different kind of experience at church than most people might (as displayed in the film, when the main character shows up late, and then misses half the service due to motherly duties). A lot of time mothers understand the love of God through others or through their own families.

Also, when push comes to shove, and when it comes between taking care of ourselves or taking care of our kids and home, we will always choose our kids, husband, and home first. Mom's don't often shop for themselves, take time for themselves, or study the Bible, attend church, or even pray for themselves. It's just like what Sean explains to her in the movie: in airplanes we are told to put our oxygen mask on first--get our oxygen on before taking care of others. We cannot take care of our family until we first take care of ourselves. We cannot teach our children to love God, if we don't first love Him ourselves. That means building a relationship with God--not just loving him.

A lot goes into loving who you are and what you've become. Allyson was first and foremost a woman. She wanted to be a mom, so she became one. She wanted to be a wife, so she married. She wanted to homeschool, live a Christian life, and blog about it, so she did. She did what she wanted to, but never did what she needed to do. She needed time to herself, to take the pressure off, and to cultivate an identity on her own.

Sometimes (a lot of times) I feel like the only identity I have is wrapped up in my kids. This is a lie from the devil. I exist, first for God. He created Adam and Eve to first be with Him, then to be with each other, and then to multiply. Being parents is a wonderful gift and experience, but it is a perk of the much bigger company we keep (God's company). He made us mothers, after all, and I bet it breaks His heart to see it hurting us. When being a mother hurts me, it means I need to make a change. I'm so glad that this movie reminded me of that. Not only that, but a movie theater in Casper, Wyoming was full of people who were reminded of that. Theaters across the country were filled with men, women, and children who saw the vulnerability of a mother and it was beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment